Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jury Duty!

The moment I have been waiting for since the day I turned 18 has finally arrived: I have been selected for jury duty! I know a lot of people bitch about getting summoned, but I am super excited. Maybe it's my addiction to Law & Order reruns, or my unabashed admiration for Judge Judy -- whatever the reason, I am totally psyched to fulfill my civic duty.

The only issue I'm having is deciding what to wear. And this is a problem, particularly because I have to be there in less than two hours, and I'm sitting on the couch with wet hair, in my pajamas. Luckily, however, the back of the summons that I received in the mail provides some guidance.
Q: What is the dress code for jurors?
A: Appropriate attire for jurors is clothing that would be worn for an important business meeting.
I love this answer for many reasons, not least of which is that is just simply sounds ridiculous. Why couldn't they have just said, "Dress in business attire"? That's still kind of vague I suppose, but the phrase "important business meeting" just makes me giggle. What if I am a construction worker, or a Vegas showgirl, or an alpaca herder? It stands to reason that business meeting attire for each of these professions would vary significantly. Or what if I am a former showgirl who now herds alpacas, and does construction on the side? The only appropriate outfit in that case would be a feather boa, a hard hat, and an alpaca-fur sweater. With no pants.

Unfortunately for me, I don't own any of those items [mental note: buy feather boa ASAP], so I am just going to wear my normal work clothes. But I am really, really hoping that some of the other jurors take a little creative license with their attire choices today. I'll let you know how it goes.

A jury of your peers

3 comments:

  1. You could always pull a Liz Lemon from 30 Rock and wear a Princess Leia costume :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had read your comment before I left! I totally would have done it. I got chosen, and now I have to dress for an important business meeting for the rest of the week. Booooo! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. they should tell those being tried to dress for an important business meeting. it might help their case ehhh? btw i love alpacas!

    ReplyDelete